Friday, March 4, 2011

Lessons from The Little Engine That Could

When I get to the gym, I immediately set my Pandora radio station to “Lady Gaga” and prepare to rock out to the likes of Katy Perry, Fergie, and of course Madame Gaga for the next 45 minutes. Sound familiar?
Here’s a semi-funny piece of information about me, though: If I’ve really turned up the resistance on my machine, am running and my lungs feel like they’re about to explode, or just need a little extra workout pick me up, I immediately turn on “Eye of the Tiger.” I picture myself with big 80's bangs and perfect blue eyeshadow, training alongside Rocky himself, and together we run up the Capitol steps. In that vision, I am awesome. I am a fitness guru, clad in neon bicycle shorts and a leotard. I run circles around Olivia Newton John. I make Jane Fonda look bad. (random tidbit: in that vision I can also sing, but that's because I like to imagine my life as a cheesy 80's music video) 

Back to reality: I am out of breath, the music is only playing in my ears, and I should NOT be wearing neon bicycle shorts. I listen to the song. I dig deep. I channel the energy of The Little Engine That Could: “I think I can, I think I can.” There are times when it takes every little piece of strength, mental and physical, to finish the rep, to lift the weight, to keep moving my legs even though I feel they’re about to collapse beneath me. I tell myself I can do it. I tell myself that I am strong and powerful and woman and awesome and that yes, like the infamous little engine, I CAN do it.

Use this little guy as inspiration!

A little reminder to myself and my 7 readers: nobody ever did anything by starting with the belief that they couldn’t. Stacey Allison didn’t look at Mount Everest and said, “Eh, probably can’t.” Jack LaLanne never said, “I’ll likely drown.” And from today forward, I will only speak in positives. I most definitely can.

So dig deep, push through, channel your own energy, and think that you can do it. You may just surprise yourself. 

2 comments:

  1. Your posts are always so great and insightful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jenna. Sweet of you to say!

    ReplyDelete