Tuesday, March 1, 2011

4 Ways to Rock a Faux Fur Vest

Rachel Zoe's skinny, Starbucks-fueled fabulousness just makes me completely green! If only because this lady knows how to rock fur like it's nobody's business. Exhibits A, B, & C (I'm practicing my lawyer speak, y'all!)

Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Exhibit C


Rachel has been a stylist to the stars forever, and is now a celeb in her own right. The fashion world can definitely credit her (at least give her partial credit!) to the ever-increasing popularity of faux fur. I know I'm late to jump on this bandwagon - but when I found one for $19.99 + an extra 15% off at Macy's, I Could. Not. Resist. It is fabulous and yeti and awesome. But, upon bringing the INC awesomeness home, I realized I had a major challenge on my hands - how the heck am I supposed to wear this? I live in Salem. I am on a budget. I am a law student. I did what any real-girl fashionaholic would do - I shopped my closet. Keep in mind, ladies, this look is NOT for the faint of heart. Afraid to stand out? Don't wear this. Ready to portray your fierce, "I-am-most-definitely-awesome-enough-to-rock-this-look" attitude? Then try it yourself! Here are the looks I came up with (apologies in advance for the names - I couldn't help myself!): 

Look #1: Fur-ban Chic
Vest, INC; shirt, INC; skinny cargos, Old Navy; Oxfords, Steve Madden; Bag, Balenciaga; Earrings, Forever 21
I don't know what to call this look, but I think it's pretty darn cool. The skinny cargo pants and the oxfords give this look an cool, masculine vibe, while the fitted shirt and vest make it fun! I added an edgy bag with tons of cool hardware and some oversized earrings to keep it glamorous and feminine.

Look #2: Cali-fur-nia Casual
Vest, INC; shirt, INC; black necklace, Kate Spade; white necklace, Banana Republic; jeans, American Eagle; shoes, Nine West; bag, BCBG
This look is totally fun! I paired the same fitted black tee underneath the vest. I swapped out the cargo pants for some destroyed, slouchy, cuffed jeans and cool gladiator wedges. To keep the look from getting too voluminous between the vest and the jeans, I paired it with a super sleek tan bag. Long necklaces keep the look from getting too serious, and give it a casual, cool-girl style.

Look #3: Un-fur-gettable
Vest, INC; dress, Banana Republic; shoes, Steve Madden; earrings, Forever 21; bag, Nine West
 I am not a diva. With that being said, this look is pure diva, and I kinda love it. My sleek, mini silk black dress gets an instant makeover with this ridiculous vest. I added some caged sandals to keep this look in total diva territory. A hot pink bag and an oversized yellow cuff give this look the slightest hint of whimsy. Big dangly earrings are the only other accessory you need. If you're up to it, I'd add a hot pink lip and lots of big, fake lashes!! 

Look #4: A Spring Af-Fur! 


Vest, INC; pants, GAP; shoes, Kelsey Daggart; earrings, Urban Outfitters; sunglasses, Ray-Ban; bag, Marc by Marc Jacobs
This last look is actually my favorite. It says, "I'm cool without trying too hard" (side note: it doesn't matter how hard you actually try, it just matters what it looks like). I love wearing white, and I don't abide by any silly no-white-after-Labor-Day rule. The ultra-flared pants and the fur vest give this look a distinct 70's vibe, but the crisp white basics, fuchsia bag and super fun sandals keep it in the 21st century. You can't go wrong with a pair of classic Ray-Bans and long dangly earrings, which echoes the 70's vibe. 


Readers: What do you think of these looks? Do you think it's too weird or fun? Would you ever wear this? Feel free to comment and give me suggestions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment